Police investigating cannabis factory fire
A POLICE investigation was under way last night after a fire at a “significant” cannabis factory on an industrial estate.
Fire crews were called to Unit 9D at the Brome industrial estate in Fortress Way, near Eye, at 5.42pm on Friday following reports that a building was completely alight.
Firefighters said on Friday that cannabis was found at the unit but following an investigation this weekend, Suffolk police have confirmed it was being run as a cannabis factory.
Officers are now investigating the production of a controlled drug at the site.
Inspector Jim Gooding, of Suffolk police, said: “It does appear that there was significant fire damage and it was what we believe to be a cannabis factory. It was a significant set-up.”
You may also want to watch:
In one room of the unit, there were 150 cannabis plants while in another there was a similar amount which were largely damaged in the blaze.
An electrical fire has been ruled out and investigations are continuing into the cause of the fire. It is believed the unit was rented out by its owners. The value of the cannabis found inside is still not known.
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 3 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 4 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 5 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 6 New beginnings, old faces and a return home - what to look for on 'fixtures day'
- 7 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 8 A&E under pressure as patient levels return to pre-pandemic levels
- 9 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
- 10 A12 reopens after three-vehicle crash
A spokesman for the Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service confirmed: “Fire crews from Eye and Diss were called to the Brome industrial estate, in Fortress Close, Brome, at 5.42pm on Friday.
“On arrival the crews requested two more pumps to attend the scene of the blaze.
“The single-storey factory unit was completely alight and fire crews tackled the flames using two jets and hose reels.
“The incident was brought under control at 7.12pm, but crews remained on the scene throughout the night.”
Nobody has been arrested as yet and police are keen to hear from anyone who has information about the incident.
Information can be given to Suffolk police on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.