Police launch new inquiry after teenager raped in flat in Colchester
- Credit: Archant
Detectives are appealing for information about a man suspected of raping a 16-year old girl at a flat in the High Street in Colchester in April 2011.
The man disappeared immediately after the offence was reported to police and despite extensive efforts he has not been traced, Essex Police said.
He is believed to have lived in central Colchester for around three years prior to disappearing and detectives have also received information indicating he was in the Bolton area after the allegation was reported.
Detective sergeant Gavin Watson, of Essex Police, said: “The suspect was known by the name of Muhammed Wassem, or a variation of that, at the time he was in Colchester, but our enquiries to date would suggest that this may have been an assumed name.
“Although we believe he has been in Bolton it is possible that he could be anywhere in the UK.
“If anyone recognises the man in this picture, knows where he is, or has been, or has any other information that could assist us I would urge them to contact Essex Police.”
Police have issued a photograph of Muhammed Wassem.
- 1 Unclaimed £83k winning EuroMillions lottery ticket was bought in Suffolk
- 2 'I just don't operate that way' - Town owner Steed tells it straight on first visit
- 3 'Abandoned' cottage and studio up for sale after huge renovation
- 4 Suffolk cinema to allow dog owners to bring their pets to watch films
- 5 Police concerned for welfare of missing Suffolk man last seen two weeks ago
- 6 Emergency services attending incident in Suffolk town
- 7 Former Town striker Chopra out of retirement to join non-league club
- 8 'It's going great' - New pizzeria proving a hit in east Suffolk town
- 9 Former town council manager named as woman who died in A11 crash
- 10 Rail services disrupted after Needham Market bridge struck
Call Essex Police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.