Police launch new inquiry after teenager raped in flat in Colchester
- Credit: Archant
Detectives are appealing for information about a man suspected of raping a 16-year old girl at a flat in the High Street in Colchester in April 2011.
The man disappeared immediately after the offence was reported to police and despite extensive efforts he has not been traced, Essex Police said.
He is believed to have lived in central Colchester for around three years prior to disappearing and detectives have also received information indicating he was in the Bolton area after the allegation was reported.
Detective sergeant Gavin Watson, of Essex Police, said: “The suspect was known by the name of Muhammed Wassem, or a variation of that, at the time he was in Colchester, but our enquiries to date would suggest that this may have been an assumed name.
“Although we believe he has been in Bolton it is possible that he could be anywhere in the UK.
You may also want to watch:
“If anyone recognises the man in this picture, knows where he is, or has been, or has any other information that could assist us I would urge them to contact Essex Police.”
Police have issued a photograph of Muhammed Wassem.
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 3 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 4 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 5 When Ipswich boss Cook will inform players of his contract decisions
- 6 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 7 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 8 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast
- 9 Why Cook has given Norwood Ipswich Town's captain's armband
- 10 Police identify elderly man after incident involving young girl in village
Call Essex Police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.