Police name 26-year-old Torron Smith, of Pitsea, as victim of fatal A12 crash
- Credit: Tom Potter
A young pedestrian who died during a collision on the A12 at Hatfield Peverel has been named by police.
Torron Smith, 26, of Pitsea, was killed on the road shortly before 1.45am on Sunday.
Essex Police is continuing to investigate the circumstances leading up to the crash.
Yesterday Detective Sergeant Damon Bainbridge, of the serious collision investigation unit, said: “Our enquiries so far suggest the pedestrian got out of a Ford Transit, which had pulled over to the side of the southbound track and was stationary.
“It is believed he may have crossed over to the northbound carriageway, before being involved in a collision with a Ford Fiesta on the southbound side.
You may also want to watch:
“I am keen to hear from any drivers in the area at the time who had dashboard cameras fitted to their vehicles, which may have captured footage of events leading up to the incident.”
The Fiesta driver, a 30-year-old Chelmsford man, suffered minor injuries.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 4 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 5 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 6 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
- 7 KOA podcast special: Cook tells majority of Town squad they can go
- 8 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 9 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 10 Classic car show to return this summer with new venue
The Ford Transit driver, a 47-year-old man from Surrey, was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving. He was released on bail until March 16 pending further enquiries.
Contact the serious collision investigation unit on 101 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.