Police probe after soldier found dead
POLICE are investigating the death of a 25-year-old soldier whose body was found at a barracks.Sapper Philip Eden was found dead at Carver Barracks, Wimbish, Essex, headquarters of 33 Engineer Regiment on Sunday.
POLICE are investigating the death of a 25-year-old soldier whose body was found at a barracks.
Sapper Philip Eden was found dead at Carver Barracks, Wimbish, Essex, headquarters of 33 Engineer Regiment on Sunday.
An Army spokeswoman said Sapper Eden's death was not being treated as suspicious but police were investigating and a report would be prepared for the coroner.
Sources said it was thought the soldier had taken his own life.
The spokeswoman said Sapper Eden was married with two children and lived locally.
Two soldiers from the unit, which is part of 16 Air Assault Brigade, were killed during the Iraq war.
- 1 Glamping pods and shepherd huts proposed in holiday site expansion
- 2 Town reject bid for midfielder Fraser but no Matete move
- 3 Look inside 'immaculately presented' property with own bar and heated pool
- 4 Police apology after cars accidentally damaged by stinger device on A14
- 5 Ed Sheeran pays the most tax of any celebrity in the UK
- 6 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 7 Popular Sudbury bakery reveals aim to save town's post office
- 8 Ipswich Town sign Brentford full-back Thompson on loan
- 9 Suffolk entrepreneur Mike Lynch loses $5bn fraud case with Hewlett Packard
- 10 Parents’ fury as bouncy castle business leaves children in the lurch
Earlier this week, six military policemen based at nearby Colchester and also member of 16 Air Assault Brigade, were shot dead in Iraq.