Police probe teenage rape claim
DETECTIVES have launched an investigation into the alleged rape of a teenage girl in a playing field.Police sealed off part of a play area in west Felixstowe after a teenage girl alleged she had been attacked and raped there.
DETECTIVES have launched an investigation into the alleged rape of a teenage girl in a playing field.
Police sealed off part of a play area in west Felixstowe after a teenage girl alleged she had been attacked and raped there.
The allegation has shocked residents, one of whom said: "It's terrible to think that a serious crime may have been committed near where you live."
A large area of open space next to an informal five-a-side football pitch in Grange Farm Avenue was cordoned off with blue-and-white police tape on Friday as police officers searched the site for evidence.
You may also want to watch:
The area where the incident was alleged to have taken place was at the back of houses in Cricket Hill Road and Reynolds Court.
The green area is one of two large areas of open space serving the Cavendish Park, Orwell Green and Grange Farm estates with the Safeway superstore, Owl and Pussycat pub and Cavendish Community Church in the centre.
- 1 Andy's Angles: Six observations after Ipswich Town's 2-1 win over Fleetwood
- 2 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Suffolk
- 3 'Unique' café with 250 plus board games to play will open soon
- 4 How Suffolk are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 5 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 6 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
- 7 'It's been difficult... I was just so happy' - Celina delighted to end long goal drought in style
- 8 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 2-1 Fleetwood win
- 9 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 10 Hadleigh home with loo in master bedroom hits the market
Residents living around the land said they had been unaware an incident had happened and had not seen or heard anything suspicious.
"It was quite a surprise really – the first thing we knew was when we saw the area taped off, but we didn't know why," said one resident, of Cricket Hill Road.
"There have been police officers around asking people questions and at least one officer has been on the land all day to make sure no-one crosses the tapes."
Another resident added: "It's terrible to think that a serious crime may have been committed near where you live and I am quite shocked. It's usually very quiet round here and people keep themselves to themselves really."
n A 17-year-old boy was arrested and questioned by detectives investigating the alleged rape and was later released on police bail.