Police recover man’s body from river after empty car found on Orwell Bridge near Ipswich
Police have recovered the body of a man believed to have fallen from the Orwell Bridge near Ipswich.
Officers were called at around 3.15am to reports of a believed to have broken down on the westbound carriageway of the Orwell Bridge.
On arrival, officers found the car to be empty, and requests assistance from Coastguard and RAF Search and Rescue services.
A search of the river took place, where a body was found at around 4.30am.
The death is being treated as unexplained but is not believed to be suspicious.
You may also want to watch:
A formal identification has not yet taken place, and a file will be prepared for the coroner.
Anyone with information regarding the incident, or who may have seen the man getting out of his car in the early hours of this morning should contact investigating officers on 101, quoting CAD 34 of July 29.
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Ipswich U18s fall to second-half Liverpool goals - how the FA Youth Cup semi-final unfolded....
- 4 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 5 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 6 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 7 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 8 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
- 9 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
- 10 Couple transform historic building near coast into new bed and breakfast