Police release description of suspects as more dangerous debris left on roads around Tiptree
- Credit: Archant
More drivers have come forward to report instances of debris being left deliberately on rural roads in Essex.
Essex Police appealed for information yesterday following a spate of incidents where concrete blocks, wood and barbed wire were put on the roads around Tiptree.
These had been left on unlit sections of road in the dark and caused thousands of pounds of damage to four cars and a bus.
All the items found in the incidents reported to police have been left close to footpaths, and officers believe the suspects have been using these to travel to the roads and then dump the items.
There were initially nine reports between Sunday December 20 and Tuesday December 29.
Further incidents reported since include a Ford Transit van which struck a lump of concrete left on the B1022 at about 1.20pm on Wednesday, December 30. It damaged the sump and the vehicle had to be towed home.
You may also want to watch:
Another driver reported barbed wire and two bricks in Grange Road at about 6pm on Tuesday, December 29, which she removed. No damage was caused to her car.
A third driver reported seeing a concrete bollard in Kelvedon Road on Boxing Day, which she cleared from the road.
- 1 American marines fly to Suffolk to join Dambusters on new aircraft carrier
- 2 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 3 A possible Ipswich Town reunion at Colchester this summer
- 4 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 5 Two arrested after police block off street following threats
- 6 Town confirm early departure of experienced defender due to contract clause
- 7 Have your say on bid for new shopping village with cinema and hotel
- 8 How a popular Suffolk resort is gearing up for a bumper summer
- 9 See inside abandoned hotel with swimming pool as it goes up for auction
- 10 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 0-0 draw at Shrewsbury
Essex Police has released images of some of the debris, as well as a video filmed from the dashboard camera of a taxi travelling along Grange Road on December 20.
It struck rocks, wood and a metal sign which had been deliberately placed in the road, causing about £4,000 damage to the underside of the vehicle.
Chief Inspector Nick Lee said: “We have released pictures of debris that has been recovered, and dashboard video footage supplied by one victim, which show just how dangerous this idiotic behaviour is.
“I’d like to thank people for contacting us and am continuing to appeal for anyone with information to get in touch.
“I also urgently need to speak to anyone else who has cleared these objects from the road and still have them in their possession, as they could assist our investigation.”
Police also urgently want to trace two suspects seen throwing concrete onto the B1022 Colchester Road on December 29 at 9.28pm.
They were seen in woods and ran off when approached by members of the public.
They were a white man, aged 20-30, wearing camouflage trousers and an orange and grey top, and a woman, also aged 20-30, wearing grey and black clothing including leggings.
Road users are advised to take extra caution, particularly in Kelvedon Road, Grange Road and the B1022.
Anyone with information is asked to call police on 101, or 999 in an emergency.