Three arrested in Stowmarket street disturbance
- Credit: Archant
Three people, including a 16-year-old boy, were arrested following a street disturbance in Stowmarket in which a police officer was allegedly assaulted.
An 18-year-old is being questioned over the attack on the officer, while a 41-year-old man has been charged in connection with the incident in Hillside on Tuesday evening.
Leon Jones, of Hillside, has been bailed to appear before Ipswich magistrates on August 20 charged with using threatening words and behaviour.
A Suffolk Constabulary spokesman said officers were called to Hillside at around 7pm following reports of anti-social behaviour involving a group of approximately 15 youths.
This was resolved peacefully but shortly after officers stopped a passing vehicle due to a suspected defect and were challenged by some of the same group.
You may also want to watch:
The 16-year-old boy was subsequently arrested on suspicion of public order offences and obstructing a police officer. He has since been released under investigation.
The spokesman said others then became involved and the arresting officer was then assaulted.
- 1 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 2 Andy's Angles: Five observations following Ipswich Town's 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 3 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 4 Major former Debenhams store could remain empty until 2023
- 5 Warnock and Dijon boss give updates on Town targets Coulson and Celina
- 6 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 7 Blues star looking forward to 'getting down to business'
- 8 'Never seen anything like it' - community pulls together to revamp pub
- 9 Bridal shop opens in well-known former Sudbury bookshop
- 10 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
An 18-year-old man from Stowmarket was arrested on Wednesday afternoon in connection with the alleged assault and was taken to Bury St Edmunds Police Investigation Centre for questioning.