Police warn on scammer demanding “tax” with menacing foreign call
Police have warned residents to beware of a scammer who has demanded that people pay extra tax – or face the prospect of going to court.
It follows a number of incidents in the Harwich area with the caller demanding large amounts of money which they claim is owed and is to be paid into an overseas account.
The calls come from withheld numbers and the caller threatens the victim with being arrested and taken to court if the money is not paid.
Pc Simon Pomares said: “These types of calls are horrible to receive and the can leave the victim feeling very upset.
“Organisations like HM Revenue and Customs would never contact you in this way.
You may also want to watch:
“If you receive a phone call asking for your bank details or large sums of cash, call police from a different phone.”
If you have any information about this please contact Pc Pomares on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
- 1 Suffolk petrol stations avoid closure as garages shut nationwide
- 2 Don't panic buy - warning as queues form at petrol stations
- 3 Family of hairdresser, 17, who died in her sleep 'overwhelmed' by tributes
- 4 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 5 'We've lost one or two from last week' - Cook reveals fresh injury set-back
- 6 Jailed company boss to sell home to repay swindled customers
- 7 Road off A14 closed after serious collision
- 8 'Complete waste of our money' - uproar over Santa's grotto
- 9 Cook believes Ipswich are 'biggest and best' club in League One
- 10 More police mistakes in case of 'bubbly and funny' Emma who fell from window