Police warn schools after two abduction attempts
PUPILS at primary schools in Ipswich are being warned to stay vigilant after two attempted abductions outside schools.
Police have sent letters to head teachers informing them that patrols will be stepped up outside schools this week and urged heads to position extra staff outside school gates at home-time.
In one incident, which took place outside Castle Hill School in Congreve Road at around 3.20pm on Monday, an 11-year-old girl was approached by a man who grabbed her arm.
The girl tried to pull away and the man let go, before getting into a black car and driving away.
Following a similar outside another school on Tuesday police have decided to make youngsters aware of the situation.
You may also want to watch:
Richard Jones, a spokesman for Suffolk Police said: “On Monday and Tuesday this week a couple of incidents occurred outside Ipswich Primary Schools which involved a man encouraging a pupil to get into his car.
“We would encourage all schools to provide pupils with a suitable safety message that will not unduly alarm them but will make communities aware of the need to be vigilant to such incidents.
- 2 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 3 Ipswich home transformed on BBC's Homes Under the Hammer
- 4 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 5 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 6 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
- 7 Police unlock county lines drug dealer's phone with first guess at password
- 8 Country inn acquired from Jamie Oliver's parents reopens following facelift
- 9 A12 reopens after three-vehicle crash
- 10 Kesgrave shooting: Judge tells jury majority verdict allowed
“Head teachers are asked to consider arranging for staff to be outside schools at home time for the next couple of days in high visibility jackets to reassure parents by providing a visible presence and in a way that is also easily identifiable to any passing police patrols.”
The offender in the incident outside Castle Hill School is described as between 6ft 1in - 6ft 6ins tall, bald, and with a beard.
He was wearing a short plain black coat zipped up, dark blue jeans and trainers. The vehicle he was driving has been described as a Ford Escort.
Calls in relation to this incident should be made to DC Mireille Bailey at Ipswich CID on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.