Poll: More than 200 people caught not wearing a seatbelt in just seven days
- Credit: PA
MORE than 200 people were caught not wearing a seatbelt in a week.
Suffolk and Norfolk police handed out £60 fines and tickets to 218 people for not wearing their seatbelt during a week-long enforcement campaign this month.
All 218 people were adults – 111 in Norfolk received Fixed Penalty Notices (FPN) of £60, while 107 in Suffolk received a ticket for failing to wear their seatbelt.
It is illegal not to wear a seatbelt when travelling in a car or goods vehicle and it is the responsibility of the driver to ensure all passengers under the age of 14 are wearing a seatbelt or child restraint.
Suffolk police chief inspector Chris Spinks said: “As previous fatal road traffic collisions have shown, failing to wear a seatbelt can have tragic consequences.
You may also want to watch:
“Seatbelts can be a major factor in reducing the likelihood of being killed or seriously injured and should not be underestimated.
“It is an effortless task that should be part of a routine before starting up a vehicle and quite simply can mean the difference between life and death.”
- 1 ‘Demolition Man’ Cook tells vast majority of Ipswich Town squad to find new clubs
- 2 Mum-of-four with 'beautiful soul' dies after collapsing in the street
- 3 Takeaway contaminated food with raw meat and sold items past use-by date
- 4 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 5 Royal visit from Princess Anne marks Suffolk Wildlife Trust 60th anniversary
- 6 Fake parking fines handed out in Stowmarket
- 7 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 8 Couple transform historic building near coast into new bed and breakfast
- 9 Steam locomotive back in Suffolk for anniversary trips
- 10 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
Seatbelts should be worn in any vehicle they are provided in, including buses and goods vehicles.
Anyone caught not wearing a seatbelt will be issued with a £60 FPN.
What do you think of these figures? Do you wear a seatbelt?