Poll: Third superstore proposal revealed for Felixstowe
- Credit: Archant
PROPOSALS for a THIRD new superstore at Felixstowe have today been revealed – with developers promising 200 new jobs for the town.
Details of the £12million project, which follows Tesco’s plans for Walton Green and Albourne Property’s scheme for land at the railway station, have been submitted to Suffolk Coastal council.
Sources have told The Star that Asda is the likely operator for the latest store and petrol station, at Haven Exchange, opposite Dock Gate One, though the company has denied any involvement.
The 20,000sq ft store will be smaller than the two already put forward – both 30,000sq ft – and the developers, Cranford (Felixstowe) Ltd are hoping this will persuade planners to give it the go-ahead as it will have less impact on the town centre.
A shopping development has already been given consent for the land between McDonalds and the Jehovah’s Witnesses’ Kingdom Hall in Walton Avenue – a £7million complex of 45,000sq ft involving a series of national retailers.
Maritime Transport’s headquarters stands on part of the 4.5-acre site and this will be demolished as the company is moving to new premises.
Consultants Simply Planning Ltd said: “At this juncture the proposed retailer of the store cannot be named. Suffice to say that Cranford Developments is in discussions with a national food retailer not currently represented in the town who has a requirement for a new store of that size proposed and has confirmed its interest in this site.”
- 1 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 2 No timescale for when Suffolk road closed due to flooding can reopen
- 3 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 4 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 5 Nearly 150 homes to go on land no longer needed for jobs
- 6 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 7 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 8 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Essex
- 9 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 10 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
The company said the project would result in development of a site which has stood unused and idle for far too long, would not take land more suited to housing, and create around 200 jobs
A spokesman for Asda said: “We have no specific plans for a store in Felixstowe – however this is an area where we think shoppers could benefit from our low prices on everyday essentials.”
? Is Haven Exchange the best site for a new superstore for Felixstowe? Add your comments below