Poll: Tourists urged to ‘Love Lavenham’
- Credit: ©nicksmithphotography.com
ONE of Suffolk’s most popular tourist villages has launched a romantic campaign to “freshen up” its image and attract more visitors.
Lavenham, which is well-known for its ancient buildings and wool-trade heritage, is being rebranded to highlight that it has far more to offer than its history.
The “Love Lavenham – a day, a week, forever” campaign - the brainchild of Lavenham Merchants’ Guild - was launched at the famous Guildhall last night to coincide with Valentine’s Day week.
The idea is to promote the village as a romantic destination for people to visit – whether they are tourists looking for a place to spend a few days or locals seeking an indulgent candlelit supper or intimate afternoon tea.
Mr Paul said: “The launch has been timed to coincide with Valentine’s Day because the brand has a romantic and indulgent feel. The guild members looked at what Lavenham was as a destination, and we all felt that it is not just about the heritage and architecture. The village has so much to offer and it is of real appeal not only to local residents and day visitors but to those who want to stay a bit longer as well. We wanted the brand to be emotive and to convey a village that is romantic, thriving and welcoming.”
Although Lavenham Merchants’ Guild has been working with Visit Suffolk on its Curious County campaign as well as with Visit East Anglia’s Explore and Experience promotion, the rebranding is being initiated entirely by the guild’s 60 member businesses. They commissioned a creative design agency to develop the brand – a decision that was taken in response to a tough trading year for many high street retailers.
The Merchant’s Guild has rebranded its website to coincide with the Love Lavenham campaign launch, and all local businesses, community groups and the parish council are being urged to use the logo and embrace the brand.
- 1 Police cordon off Stowmarket dentist after break-in
- 2 'Calm, graceful and kind': Tributes paid to martial arts world champion
- 3 Watch: Celina's wonder goal against Crewe
- 4 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 5 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 6 Stu says: Six observations following Town's 2-1 win against Crewe
- 7 5 roadworks for Suffolk motorists to plan their journeys around this week
- 8 Truck overturns on wet, slippery road near Stowmarket
- 9 Fire breaks out at British Sugar Factory
- 10 North Stander: We are where we deserve to be... and the play-offs look a long way off
Mr Paul continued: “Although we have good reputation because of the natural beauty of Lavenham, there is a lot of competition out there. The commercial reality is that you can’t just sit back and expect people to come to the village – you have to keep reminding people of what you have to offer and you simply have to shout louder. If everyone in the village clubs together and embraces the campaign; we will have a stronger voice.”
The new-look website at www.lovelavenham.co.uk has links to Lavenham businesses and tourist attractions and also displays a comprehensive list of forthcoming events.