Family make ‘lucky escape’ after tea towel catches fire in flat
- Credit: Archant
Firefighters say a family made a “lucky escape” after a tea towel accidentally caught fire on their hob.
The fire service was called to their ground floor flat in Porter Way, Clacton, just after 10am Saturday, May 30.
The family’s cooker had accidentally been turned on, and a tea towel placed on top of it caught fire.
Ben Turner, watch manager at Clacton Fire Station, said the family had made a lucky escape thanks to their smoke alarm.
Mr Turner said: “If it hadn’t been for the smoke alarms the family would not have realised there was a fire and it could have developed into a far larger incident before they could take action.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s important to turn your cooker off when you’re not using it and make sure nothing is left on top of it.
“Thanks to the quick actions of the family the flat has only suffered a small amount of smoke damage and everyone got out safely.”
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 3 More Suffolk petrol stations closed as PM plans action
- 4 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 5 Lorry drivers being offered up to £60,000 and other bonuses as shortage bites
- 6 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 7 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-1 draw with Sheffield Wednesday
- 8 Explained: What is causing the long queues at petrol stations?
- 9 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 10 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
It is understood no one was injured during the fire.