Postmaster hurt in armed raid
A SUB-postmaster was hit on the head with a handgun by a robber who escaped with a large amount of cash.The sub-postmaster at the post office in Beacon Way, Point Clear, near St Osyth, suffered grazing and bruising after he was attacked by a robber wielding a gun.
By Juliette Maxam
A SUB-postmaster was hit on the head with a handgun by a robber who escaped with a large amount of cash.
The sub-postmaster at the post office in Beacon Way, Point Clear, near St Osyth, suffered grazing and bruising after he was attacked by a robber wielding a gun.
The armed raider and an accomplice burst into the post office at 4.35pm on Thursday when only the postmaster was present.
You may also want to watch:
They forced the postmaster to hand over money. Police said they stole a "large sum of cash" in bundles of £5, £10 and £20 notes.
During the robbery, one of the raiders hit the postmaster on the back of the head with the handgun, police said.
- 1 Ed Sheeran hints at new tour dates and reveals favourite Suffolk beer
- 2 Two people rescued in four vehicle crash on A14
- 3 Three East Anglian curry houses make final of English Curry Awards
- 4 A14 to close following four vehicle crash
- 5 7 of Suffolk's prettiest streets
- 6 Former addict marries 'guardian angel' after years of 'hell'
- 7 From Blues to U's - how ex-Town stars are faring at Colchester
- 8 Former Town winger Finidi George gets first senior manager job
- 9 Towering views for royal on visit to see completed £4m Suffolk project
- 10 Numbers don't look good but there are turnarounds Town can take from
Once they had grabbed the wads of money, the robbers made their escape in a blue four-door saloon car, which was possibly a Vauxhall Cavalier or Ford Sierra.
Police have issued descriptions of the robbers. The first is described as aged in his late 20s or early 30s.
He was about 5ft 10ins tall, of "Mediterranean" appearance, with dark brown hair swept back and unshaven.
He wore a pale blue vest underneath a long-sleeved shirt and possibly blue jeans.
His accomplice was slightly older and a similar appearance. He was also unshaven. He had short dark hair and dark clothing. He was stocky and about 5ft 6ins.
Detectives yesterday appealed for any witnesses or anyone with information on the offenders to contact them.
They are particularly keen to hear from anyone who was in the Beacon Way or Point Clear areas between 4pm and 4.45pm.
Yesterday the postmaster, who runs the post office with his wife, said he had been told by Essex Police not to talk about his terrifying ordeal.
He did not require hospital treatment for his minor head injuries.
Officials from the Post Office spent yesterday afternoon with him piecing together details of the robbery.