Poulter calls for parking boost in Framlingham from housing developers
- Credit: Archant
Developers seeking to build new homes in an around historic Framlingham must be forced to pay for the construction of more parking spaces in the town centre.
That’s the demand of Central Suffolk and North Ipswich MP Dr Dan Poulter who lives in the town which has been struggling to provide enough spaces for visitors over recent years.
Dr Poulter has written to Tony Fryatt, Suffolk Coastal Council’s cabinet member for planning, demanding that parking problems in the town should be eased with contributions from developers.
In 2014, in response to growing concerns which he shared with local residents about increased development and new homes in Framlingham, Dr Poulter carried out a survey of people living in and around the town. The aim was to shape the town’s future infrastructure needs.
There was an overwhelming response highlighting the need for greater medical provision within the town, including the expansion of the GP surgery, expansion of the local primary school and improvements to local roads and availability of parking within the town.
Since then, Dr Poulter has been working with the district council to address a number of these concerns, and work began in July on the expansion of Framlingham’s GP Surgery.
Dr Poulter said “Like many residents, I had initial concerns about the number of homes being built in Framlingham. As always, it is vitally important that, alongside this, the town continues to receive the additional infrastructure that it needs and deserves.
- 1 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 2 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 3 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 4 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 5 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 6 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 7 The Ipswich Town players who could force their way into Cook's thinking during cup break
- 8 Norwood on target as Town Under 23's sting Hornets
- 9 Aston Villa loanee Louie Barry is the forgotten signing at Ipswich Town... he'll be hoping to get his chance this week
- 10 Essex Sainsbury's car park cordoned off after police incident
“I am pleased to be working with Suffolk Coastal District Council to help improve services within the town and am delighted that work is now underway to expand the GP surgery, thanks to a grant of £420,000.
“However, it is essential that Framlingham, which already has traffic and parking issues, is properly supported to expand the number of parking spaces available to residents, workers and visitors.”
Local business owner Bill Bulstrode said: “I’ve been retailing in Framlingham since the early 1970s. Parking was a problem then and it’s only got worse since.
“Unless the issue of parking in Framingham is addressed urgently, I fear that some retailers will be forced to close.”