Pregnant woman attacked by burglar
A PREGNANT woman was knocked to the ground and kicked in the stomach when she challenged a burglar who had broken into her Essex home.The 33-year-old woman had just brought her three children, aged 17, 16 and five, back from school with her partner when the attack took place.
A PREGNANT woman was knocked to the ground and kicked in the stomach when she challenged a burglar who had broken into her Essex home.
The 33-year-old woman had just brought her three children, aged 17, 16 and five, back from school with her partner when the attack took place.
An old white estate car was on the drive of the family's bungalow in London Road, Rivenhall, near Witham, with its doors open and the engine still running.
Police said the pregnant woman was then confronted by one of the burglars, who was carrying her DVD player. When she challenged him, he struck her face, cutting her lip and knocking her to the ground. He then kicked her in the stomach.
The burglar ran into the hall and was joined by his accomplice, a woman. As they tried to escape, the pregnant woman's 17-year-old daughter attempted to block the door and was assaulted by the burglars.
When the burglars tried to drive off in their car, the woman's partner sought to stop them, damaging the car's driver's side wing mirror. They made their getaway along the Colchester-bound track of the A12.
- 1 World War Two-themed holiday accommodation plans at former airfield
- 2 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 3 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 4 McKenna hoping Portman Road routine changes can help 'find an edge'
- 5 Police called to anti-vaccine demonstration at Suffolk pharmacy
- 6 9 forgotten pubs that were at the heart of their Suffolk towns
- 7 Police arrest driver after single car crash
- 8 New cafe toasts successful first week
- 9 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man
- 10 Let's get physical, 'spanner in the works' and selection headaches
Both the pregnant woman and her daughter were taken to Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford.
The mother was given stitches for her cut and the baby checked and given the all-clear. The daughter was treated for bruising.
Police are appealing for any witnesses or for information about the burglars who struck on Friday.
Both were described as white. The man was in his late 20s, skinny, about 5ft 6ins tall, with dark hair and stubble. He wore a dark baseball cap, jumper and trousers and white trainers.
His female accomplice was aged about 26 or 27, about 5ft 8ins tall, with long brown hair tied back. She wore dark clothes.
Their car was an old white estate with a black plastic strip along the side and plush upholstery.
All the thieves got away with were a silver Nokia mobile phone and charger.
The family did not wish to comment about their ordeal.
Anyone with any information should contact Witham police on 01376 501212.