Theresa May offers condolences to families of Ava-May Littleboy and Summer Grant
PUBLISHED: 08:46 05 July 2018 | UPDATED: 09:09 05 July 2018
The prime minister has offered her condolences to the families of Ava-May Littleboy and Summer Grant – who were both killed following tragedies involving inflatables.
Speaking during prime minister’s question time yesterday, Theresa May responded to Harlow MP Robert Halfon who asked for a temporary ban on inflatables in public areas until regulations can be examined.
Three year-old Ava-May, from Somersham, near Ipswich, died after she was thrown from an inflatable trampoline on Sunday at Gorleston Beach.
Her death comes just two weeks after a couple were jailed for the death of seven-year-old Summer Grant – who was killed after she was caught in a bouncy castle which blew 300 metres down a hill before hitting a tree in Harlow.
Mrs May said: “This is a very, very serious issue. First of all I would like to offer my deepest condolences, and I am sure that of the house, to the families of Summer Grant and Ava-May Littleboy.
“I do share the concerns about the incident with Mr Halfon. It is my understanding that Norfolk Police are aiding and working with the Health and Safety Executive and have started an investigation.
“It’s too early to know the cause of the incident, but if any findings emerge from the investigation then the necessary recommendations to improve regulations will be shared across relevant sectors as soon as possible.”
The grandmother of Ava-May spoke yesterday about how the family is still coming to terms with the tragic incident.
Angela Littleboy told BBC Radio Suffolk: “I think we are all just still so very numb.
“It doesn’t seem right, it’s not fair, it’s not the order of things, it’s not the way things are supposed to go.
“But we have been talking about lots, and there are a lot of little things that make us laugh and a lot of things that make us cry.”
A JustGiving page, set up to fund a park bench in memory of Ava-May in Somersham, has already smashed its £1,500 target by passing the £10,000 mark.
In wake of the tragedy, a council has banned bouncy castles or inflatables on its land until the reason behind the incident in Norfolk has been identified.
In a statement issued yesterday, Havant Borough Council said no incidents or concerns had been raised in the area.
But following the Norfolk incident, a council spokesman said: “It has been decided that until the reason for the explosion of the bouncy castle has been identified, such that the risk can be properly managed by the event organiser, Havant Borough Council will not permit the use of bouncy castles or inflatables at any events taking place on its land.
“The position will be reviewed once the outcome of the inquiry into the cause of the explosion of the bouncy castle is known.”
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.