Prolific Chelmsford bicycle thief who stole items worth thousands is jailed
- Credit: Archant
A 50-year-old man will serve a nine month jail sentence following a spate of bike thefts at Chelmsford Station.
Matthew McGrory, who has no fixed address, pleaded guilty to 17 charges of cycle theft at Chelmsford Magistrates Court on Thursday January 21. The offences took place between December 3 and 12 last year.
The total value of the bikes is estimated to be more than £6,700.
British Transport Police (BTP)’s senior investigation officer, Sergeant Barry Sharp, said: “Bicycle theft will never be tolerated and this sentence sends a clear message that BTP will take robust action against perpetrators.
“This prosecution was only possible thanks to all the victims coming forward and reporting the theft.”
You may also want to watch:
Victims and witnesses should report such crimes by calling 0800 40 50 40 or texting 61016.
- 1 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 2 Driver convicted of killing friend in A12 crash
- 3 Teaching assistant wins unfair dismissal claim
- 4 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 5 Election 2021: Suffolk County Council candidates published
- 6 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 7 'It could have been a lot worse' - Thatched home owner thanks crews after fire
- 8 'This bloke is the new sponsor of Ipswich Town' - Ed Sheeran posts throwback picture after shirt announcement
- 9 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 10 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered