Public’s views are sought on future phases of regeneration of resort
- Credit: Archant
Progress on proposals for the latest stage in a multi-million pound regeneration of a Suffolk resort will be given to residents next week as they are asked for their views on future ideas.
People in Felixstowe will be given an overview of what has been achieved so far – plus details of projects in the pipeline and how the long-term plan all fits together.
In the past few years there has been significant progress with the £4.8million restoration of the Spa Gardens, completion of Martello Park as part of the £25m South Seafront scheme, development of the beachside events area, reopening of the Spa Pavilion, construction and opening of the £3m pier head building, restoration of the Bartlet, and opening of The Fludyers Hotel.
The next raft of ideas includes a new iconic leisure centre, creating a Business Improvement District, new housing and infrastructure, and future ideas for the South Seafront.
Next Friday, July 6, from 1pm to 6pm, a free drop-in event will be held at the Orwell Hotel to update residents with displays and stands, with the opportunity to talk to officers from landowner and leisure provider Suffolk Coastal District Council, coastal community team Felixstowe Forward, and Visit Felixstowe.
You may also want to watch:
Helen Greengrass, Felixstowe Forward change director, said everyone involved welcomed feedback on the future projects and would like to hear other ideas residents might have.
She said: “In the past the annual engagement event in Felixstowe has been limited to businesses and community representatives. This year we felt we needed a different approach because there is so much going on that is important for the future prosperity of the town.
- 1 Flooding leaves main route through town 'impassable'
- 2 Stu says: Five observations following Ipswich's 1-0 win at Lincoln
- 3 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected
- 4 Five cars and a horsebox involved in crash near RAF base
- 5 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 6 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 7 Gangs of 'lampers' use spotlights to distract animals and kill them
- 8 Watch Town CEO Ashton wildly celebrate Lincoln win with Town fans
- 9 Cook proud of players after Town hold on for elusive first win
- 10 'It was a clear foul' - Imps boss Appleton angry after Town defeat
“This will be an opportunity for everyone to find out more and get involved. So please come along and join in.”
People were recently asked what sort of leisure facilities they would like and the next debate will be where they should be sited – and, if a new purpose-built centre is the favourite, what should happen to the Brackenbury Sports Centre and Felixstowe Leisure Centre sites.
The district council’s vision is to use 100 acres of farmland and its own Eastward Ho sports pitches – from the A14 dock spur roundabout to Ferry Road, Old Felixstowe – for a new “gateway” for the town including a state-of-the-art sports centre and homes.