WATCH: Chinook helicopters spotted over skies of Suffolk
- Credit: LEANNE SIMONS
Two Chinook helicopters have been spotted over Suffolk this afternoon as part of pre-deployment training by the Royal Air Force.
The RAF helicopters were seen by people in the villages of Stoke by Nayland, Leavenheath and parts of Colchester – with incredible videos and pictures posted on social media.
The two Chinook helicopters, based at RAF Benson, were out on pre-deployment training over Wattisham, the Merville Barracks in Colchester and at Stamford in Lincolnshire.
A spokeswoman for RAF Benson, confirmed the aircraft were undergoing training in the UK ahead of operation Newcombe, which is the code name given to the deployment of RAF helicopters to support the French operation in Mali.
She said: “The Chinook helicopters train here in the UK as it is a lot safer.
You may also want to watch:
“Chinook’s can carry all sorts of things, but it is generally military kit. They practice carrying things such as cargo, netted cargo and vehicles that they may need to move from one place to another when in operation.”
She said the two Chinook helicopters spotted over the skies of Suffolk would be out for most of today, refuelling occasionally.
- 1 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 2 Engineers repair water main which flooded A14 roundabout
- 3 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 4 The Suffolk pub serving a gourmet Sunday lunch three days a week
- 5 Portsmouth 0-4 Ipswich Town: Blues deliver Cook's biggest win as boss
- 6 'Our most complete performance of the season' - Cook on 4-0 win at Portsmouth
- 7 Framlingham taxi driver lives double life as Chateau Diaries star
- 8 Former Suffolk school leaders found guilty of professional misconduct
- 9 Ratings: How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 4-0 win at Pompey
- 10 Thunderstorm warning issued in Suffolk as heavy rain forecast
People have been in awe of the Chinook helicopters this afternoon, with Peter French saying “this is not something you see over Stoke very often”.
Alice Guyott said on Facebook: “The children loved seeing this fly over our garden!”
While Hannah Green joked: “Relax everyone - it’s just my weekly supply of chocolate with the forklift to move it.”
Did you see the two Chinook helicopters this afternoon? Share your pictures with us here.