RAF Honington set for flypast as Tornado embarks on farewell tour
- Credit: PA
RAF Honington is one of the locations set for a flypast from the Tornado jet as the warplane embarks on its farewell tour next week.
The Tornado is being retired from Royal Air Force service after nearly 40 years, with Honington set to see the jet roar overhead on Wednesday, February 20, as part of a three-day nationwide tour.
Designed by Panavia, the aircraft was a collaboration between the UK, Germany and Italy – coming into RAF service in 1979.
It saw combat during the Gulf War of 1991, while also flying operations over Kosovo, Iraq and Syria.
A flight of Tornado jets returned home to the UK for the last time on February 5, landing at RAF Marham in Norfolk.
The Tornado will be replaced by the F-35 Lightning – costing $85 million per aircraft, according to designers Lockheed.
Air Chief Marshal Sir Stephen Hiller, a former Tornado pilot, said: “I will personally be very sad to see the Tornado retire.
- 1 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 2 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 3 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 4 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 5 Under-used council land to become sites for 3,000 homes
- 6 New animal feed mill planned for Bury St Edmunds
- 7 Suffolk mass vaccination centre wants to jab 10,000 amid Omicron concern
- 8 Norwood on target as Town Under 23's sting Hornets
- 9 55 projects identified in major plans to transform transport
- 10 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
“We can all take immense pride in what the Tornado has achieved in defence of the nation over nearly four decades.”
Tornado Farewell Tour – Tuesday, February 19
• National Memorial Arboretum
• SECA Stafford
• RAF Cosford
• RAF Shawbury
• DECA Sealand
• RAF Valley
• BAES Warton
• BAES Samlesbury
• RAF Spadeadam
• RAF Leeming
• RAF Topcliffe
• RAF Linton-on-Ouse
• RAF Waddington
• RAF Cranwell
• RAF Coningsby
• RAF Donna Nook
• RAF Holbeach
Tornado Farewell Tour – Wednesday, February 20
• RAF Honington
• IWM Duxford
• Former RAE Bedford
• Cranfield Airfield
• RAF Halton
• RAF High Wycombe
• RAF Benson
• HQ Land Forces
• MOD Boscombe Down
• RAF Pembrey
• MOD St Athan
• Cardiff Airport
• Abbey Wood
• MOD Shrivenham
• RAF Brize Norton
Tornado Farewell Tour – Thursday, February 21
• Leuchars Station
• RAF Tain
• RAF Lossiemouth