Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 10°C

min temp: 8°C

Search

RAF serviceman facing jail over Bury St Edmunds attack

PUBLISHED: 13:33 25 June 2018 | UPDATED: 14:01 25 June 2018

Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: ARCHANT

Ipswich Crown Court. Picture: ARCHANT

A serviceman who attacked two men during a late night confrontation in Bury St Edmunds has been warned he could be jailed when he is sentenced next month.

Jack Wilkes, who is a serving member of the RAF, struck two “vicious” blows to Nick Ballantyne and Conor Jordan during the incident in March last year, Ipswich Crown Court heard.

As a result of the blows Mr Ballantyne suffered a fractured eye orbit and a fractured sinus while Mr Jordan had a broken tooth and a fractured cheekbone, said Martin Ivory, prosecuting.

Wilkes, 25 of RAF Brize Norton, Oxfordshire, admitted two offences of inflicting grievous bodily harm on March 31 last year.

Adjourning sentence until July 16 Judge Rupert Overbury told Wilkes: “Be under no illusion that you are facing the real prospect of a custodial sentence.

He said the courts took assaults in public where drink played a part “extremely seriously”.

“Don’t think that just because I’m adjourning the case that you won’t get a custodial sentence,” added the judge.

Emma Nash, for Wilkes, said her client was a serving member of the RAF and had no previous convictions.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the East Anglian Daily Times

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists