RAF serviceman facing jail over Bury St Edmunds attack
- Credit: ARCHANT
A serviceman who attacked two men during a late night confrontation in Bury St Edmunds has been warned he could be jailed when he is sentenced next month.
Jack Wilkes, who is a serving member of the RAF, struck two “vicious” blows to Nick Ballantyne and Conor Jordan during the incident in March last year, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
As a result of the blows Mr Ballantyne suffered a fractured eye orbit and a fractured sinus while Mr Jordan had a broken tooth and a fractured cheekbone, said Martin Ivory, prosecuting.
Wilkes, 25 of RAF Brize Norton, Oxfordshire, admitted two offences of inflicting grievous bodily harm on March 31 last year.
Adjourning sentence until July 16 Judge Rupert Overbury told Wilkes: “Be under no illusion that you are facing the real prospect of a custodial sentence.
You may also want to watch:
He said the courts took assaults in public where drink played a part “extremely seriously”.
“Don’t think that just because I’m adjourning the case that you won’t get a custodial sentence,” added the judge.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Boy, 5, in critical condition after incident at department store
- 3 Town could still move for another winger after Chaplin signing
- 4 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
- 5 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 6 Luke Woolfenden: 'It's like night and day, and I'm loving it'
- 7 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 8 Suffolk landowner is fined for careless driving and jumping red light
- 9 Edmundson was schooled by the 'golden generation' and has put his faith in the Ipswich rebuild
- 10 Rise in West Suffolk Covid rate one of the highest in England
Emma Nash, for Wilkes, said her client was a serving member of the RAF and had no previous convictions.