Raft race is a festival of floating fun
GALLERY There was plenty of inspiration for raft makers when they took part in the annual raft races at Needham Market.
THERE was plenty of inspiration for raft makers when they took part in the annual raft races at Needham Market.
The theme for the event was Dr Who and, with nearly 750 episodes broadcast on television, the raft makers found plenty of material spanning older and newer episodes.
Daleks and the Tardis time machine were represented in the designs produced for the seventh annual event.
You may also want to watch:
Different types of canine creatures and cybermen were also produced as teams battled on the lake at Needham Market for prizes.
Up to 1,000 people turned out to watch yesterday's event.
- 1 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 2 £1million beach village set for approval as part of resort regeneration
- 3 Affordable homes project proposed for east Suffolk village
- 4 Pub changes 'offensive' Halloween display after social media criticism
- 5 'The culture is right' - Johnson leaves Town in good hands after whirlwind trip
- 6 Man indecently exposes himself to dog walker in Cavendish
- 7 Town keeper Holy set for emergency loan move
- 8 Emergency services conduct search and rescue mission off Harwich coast
- 9 Where to find the cheapest petrol in Suffolk as prices hit all-time high
- 10 Controversial north Essex village homes plan set for go-ahead
Dawn Winder, a member of the organising committee, said: ''It has been very enjoyable but it is harder than it looks when you have a paddle in your hand on a raft on the water.
''The times have been fast this year because the weather has been quite cool. This has become an established event and we are already looking forward to next year, although we do not have a theme yet.''
The prizes were handed out by Sue Hull, the retiring headteacher of Needham Market Middle School. The grand final of the contest for the 10 rafts was won by a team of special constables with an entry entitled Pond Scum.
Employees from Mid Suffolk District Council were rewarded for their efforts when their second raft won an event.
Last year the theme was James Bond and this year a raft entitled Four Non Bonds entered and raised money for Cancer Research. They won the wooden spoon.
Children also enjoyed the fun and took part in a competition to pluck plastic ducks from the lake.