Rail passengers' triple whammy
PASSENGERS to and from London were hit by a triple whammy as rail services were severely delayed.The 1pm Anglia Railways service from Norwich to London yesterday was more than 80 minutes late and other journeys took more than 30 minutes longer as the chaos built up around lunchtime between Stowmarket and Colchester.
PASSENGERS to and from London were hit by a triple whammy as rail services were severely delayed.
The 1pm Anglia Railways service from Norwich to London yesterday was more than 80 minutes late and other journeys took more than 30 minutes longer as the chaos built up around lunchtime between Stowmarket and Colchester.
A signalling problem at Stowmarket caused the first set of delays, and then further disruptions occurred when a lorry crashed into the barriers at the Manningtree high level crossing.
The main delays arose out of supply difficulties at Ipswich station, caused when the power tripped out due to a fault with one of the insulators. The current was not switched back on until the insulator had been repaired.
You may also want to watch:
The services of both Anglia and First Great Eastern were affected.
Trains heading for Ipswich were trapped at Colchester station and were backed up down the line towards Kelvedon. This in turn caused delays to services from London to Colchester Town and Clacton-on-Sea.
- 1 Matchday Recap: Town well beaten as Millwall win feisty friendly
- 2 Air ambulance called as tree falls on partygoers
- 3 Woman, 29, dies in crash with construction digger near A12
- 4 Man jailed after dangerous dogs mauled sheep to death
- 5 Cook will be looking to complete the puzzle as Town host Millwall in dress rehearsal
- 6 How the Ipswich Town players performed in their 3-0 loss to Millwall
- 8 Ipswich Town 0 Millwall 3: Town are well tamed by Lions
- 9 Biker injured in crash with car in south Suffolk
- 10 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
A spokesman for Anglia Railways said the power problems at Ipswich were sorted out at 2.30pm.
However, services towards the evening were affected - the 3.30pm was nearly 50 minutes late because trains were out of position.