Rail users face delays until 5am tomorrow on rail services between London and Norwich
- Credit: PA
Rail users face an afternoon and evening of severe delays on routes between Norwich and London, after high winds caused damage to overhead power lines between Stowmarket and Diss.
The issue has only affected the line to Norwich, but trains in both directions having to share the remaining line has caused delays of up to 40 minutes, revised routes and cancellations in both directions.
The disruption was expected to last until around 12pm today, but an Abellio Greater Anglia spokesperson confirmed that delays would remain until 5am tomorrow morning.
The spokesperson added: “There are alterations and some disruption to train services between Norwich and London today because of high winds causing a tree to damage overhead power lines near Diss.
“Network Rail engineers are on site and will be working to repair the power lines when the high winds have abated.
You may also want to watch:
“In the meantime, a reduced hourly service is operating in each direction between Norwich and London, with bus replacement supplementing the service between Norwich, Diss and Stowmarket.
“Rail passengers from Norwich may also travel via Cambridge. We apologise for the inconvenience that is being caused.”
- 1 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 2 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 3 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 4 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 5 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 6 Campervan ban lifted in 12 car parks by the coast
- 7 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 8 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 9 Publican 'bitterly disappointed' as holiday home plans refused
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn
Journey times on bus replacements may take up to 45 minutes longer, with those travelling advised to allow for more time on journeys in both directions.
Abellio Greater Anglia tickets are also being accepted on London Underground services between Liverpool Street and King’s Cross, Great Northern train services between King’s Cross and Ely, and on East Midlands services between Ely and Norwich, in both directions until further notice.
Ticket restrictions on advance tickets which have been cancelled have been lifted for the remainder of the day.