Rape suspect appears in court
AN Ipswich father of three who is alleged to have carried out five sex attacks on a teenager in 1990 was remanded in custody today by magistrates.Phil Collins, of Dickens Road, appeared at South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court for his first court hearing on a charge of rape, and two counts each of indecent assault and buggery.
AN Ipswich father of three who is alleged to have carried out five sex attacks on a teenager in 1990 was remanded in custody today by magistrates.
Phil Collins, of Dickens Road, appeared at South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court for his first court hearing on a charge of rape, and two counts each of indecent assault and buggery.
Magistrates denied an application for bail for the 50-year-old, and referred the matter to Ipswich Crown Court for the next hearing of the case on September 25.
Collins is accused of carrying out the attacks on a 17-year-old female in Gippeswyk Park, Ipswich, on the night of Sunday, January 14, 1990.
You may also want to watch:
No plea was entered during today's proceedings.
Collins was arrested early on Wednesday morning and taken to Ipswich police station where he remained for questioning until he was charged yesterday afternoon.
- 1 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 2 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 3 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 4 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 5 Community in shock after stabbing on Suffolk estate
- 6 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 7 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 8 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 9 No starts, sarcastic cheers and a quick profit - A look back at Kieffer Moore's time at Town
- 10 Historic Walberswick Bell Inn closes for one week
Police have said that a 50-year-old man is currently on bail for another rape attack on a woman in 1986 in woodland near Chesterton Close in Ipswich in September 1986.