Rapist’s brother hits out
THE BROTHER of a man who kidnapped and raped an Essex teenager told the EADT last night he would never speak to him again.
Billy Bramman’s brother, Daniel, has been locked up for a minimum of seven years for the “horrendous” attack on a 17-year-old girl.
Daniel Bramman had approached the youngster, who cannot be named, in Clacton and bundled her into his car before driving her off to another location where the attack took place.
He forced the teenager to endure a three–hour ordeal before setting his traumatised victim free in nearby St Osyth where she ran for help at a nearby house.
Bramman, who was living in the Jaywick area, was arrested shortly after the attack and charged.
You may also want to watch:
He appeared at Chelmsford Crown Court yesterday and was given a public protection sentence so will not be released until he is no longer a danger.
The 36-year-old will serve a minimum of seven years after pleading guilty at an earlier hearing to three charges of kidnap, rape and abduction.
- 1 Town's Harper move held up by West Brom uncertainty
- 2 Councils to be given powers to fine drivers £70
- 3 A12 underpass closed after car stuck in water
- 4 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
- 5 Suffolk school goes viral after teachers post TikTok dance
- 6 ‘Exceptional’ country estate with its own airfield hits the market
- 7 Woman in master/slave relationship was asked to supply indecent images
- 8 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 9 A12 clear after two-car crash at Farnham
- 10 Historic Walberswick Bell Inn closes for one week
His brother, Billy, was in court for the sentencing and speaking afterwards he revealed he had been the victim of violent incidents after people mistook him for his brother.
He said: “It is not the sort of thing you want to go through and we have had a few threats made - nothing too serious – but then a couple of people have seen me out on my bike and thought I was him.
“I have been run off the road a couple of times.
“It’s one of those things for me but he will have to live with what he has done for the rest of his life.”
Mr Bramman, who lives in Clacton, said he had spoken to his brother just once since the horrific attack took place on March 1 this year and said he was given a “silver lined” picture of what happened.
He said: “He tried to make out that it was not as bad but then we heard in court what had happened and it was a lot worse than he had said.
“I keep thinking, ‘why has he done this?’ but I don’t think he will ever have an answer for what happened.
“I don’t think I will ever speak to him again,” he declared.
More than 2,300 people have joined a Facebook group calling for the rapist to be locked away for life and last night some were even calling for the death penalty for him.
Bramman has also been placed on the sex offenders’ register for life.
Speaking afterwards, senior investigating officer John Quinton, who has now retired from Essex Police, paid tribute to the courage of Bramman’s victim.
He said: “This was a horrendous crime and Bramman put his young teenage victim through a terrifying experience.
“I want to praise her for the way she coped with her ordeal.
“With the support of her family she was able to provide police with very good detail about locations, places and times and descriptions.
“This enabled detectives to identify Bramman and make a quick arrest.
“While this crime is shocking it is fortunately a rare occurrence and Bramman will now serve a lengthy prison sentence.”