Ravers descend on quiet village

RESIDENTS in a Suffolk village endured a night of noise after some 300 revellers descended on buildings on an old airfield site for an all-night rave. The party-goers, reported to be between 18 and 22 years old, took over the old buildings at the former Parham Airfield site on New Road, Parham, at 2.

RESIDENTS in a Suffolk village endured a night of noise after some 300 revellers descended on buildings on an old airfield site for an all-night rave.

The party-goers, reported to be between 18 and 22 years old, took over the old buildings at the former Parham Airfield site on New Road, Parham, at 2.30am yesterday .

And they were still there after midday on Sunday afternoon.

Michael Gray, a farmer, of Moat Hall, Parham, said: “They're on the land next to me and I woke up at half six this morning to the noise.


You may also want to watch:


“They've had total disregard for anybody else's property and have been all over my field with their cars.”

He added: “There's so much rubbish and mess that's been left for me to clear up at the end of the day.”

Most Read

Mr Gray said he felt aggrieved that, although police had been monitoring the event, they did not seem to do anything about it.

Geoff Woodard, of Hacheston, said: “I just stumbled across the rave when I went birding in Parham in the morning.

“I could see lots of cars, people milling about and I could hear the bass of the music.”

He said the site where the rave took place was historic because it was where the airfield cinema, chapel and emergency power station was based during the Second World War.

Mr Woodard added: “I think the police are being very cautious and going about it very gently so not to cause any aggravation and the police helicopter has been over.”

It is the first time that any raves have been reported in the village.

Police were alerted to the event after spotting a number of vehicles close to the Diss area just after midnight.

They made enquiries into where they were headed and discovered the whereabouts of the rave.

Anne-Marie Breach, a spokeswoman for Suffolk police, said last night: “The event has been monitored by police throughout the night and no complaints have been received from residents.

“Officers are currently still at the scene, equipment has been removed from the site and rave-goers are dispersing.”

She said the police would look into the circumstances of the event to see if any action will be taken against the organisers.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus