‘This literally broke my heart’: Your tributes to Rajang the orangutan
- Credit: DAVID MARSAY
Colchester Zoo announced the death of one of their beloved residents yesterday. Readers took to social media to express their condolences.
Rajang the orangutan passed away yesterday morning at the age of 50 after living at the zoo since 1980.
The popular animal had been receiving treatment for chronic arthritis and other age-related health problems. Initially Rajang responded well to the medication but in recent months he started to lose focus and show symptoms of a degenerative neurological condition.
Vets prescribed medicine to help him, but his condition further deteriorated and he was put to sleep.
Read the full story here: Rajang the orangutan from Colchester Zoo has died
Hundreds of memories and condolences for the one-of-a-kind orangutan were left on our Facebook page.
Olivia Lillington wrote: “This literally broke my heart this morning. All those trips to see him, I couldn’t believe it either when I read it.”
Charlotte Hussain added: “Oh this is really sad... love that orangutan.”
- 1 Is this tearoom near Ipswich one of Suffolk’s best-kept secrets?
- 2 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 3 Plans for two drive-through takeaways in Suffolk town
- 4 New landlord hopes to make Suffolk pub 'centre' of village community
- 5 The former Ipswich players looking for new clubs this summer
- 6 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
- 7 Town boss McKenna adds ex-Manchester United player to coaching staff
- 8 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 9 New landlords take over award-winning pub and brewery in Suffolk village
- 10 Revealed: The top serious road crash hotspots in Suffolk
Clare Hubert shared her special memory with Rajang, she said: “I remember seeing him when he was in his old enclosure and I put my hand up on the glass and he came over and put his hand on the glass where mine was. I sobbed. Such a beautiful creature.”
Readers also posted their pictures with the much loved animal which we have included.
If you can see a memory from someone you know make sure you share the article with them.