Recipe of the Week: Tuna quiche
- Credit: Archant
INSTEAD of a traditional quiche Lorraine, why not try this recipe from reader Sonia French.
Using tuna instead of bacon means it is healthier and helps you towards your recommended weekly quota of oily fish.
Line a flan dish with 6 oz of shortcrust pastry - this can either be bought ready made or you can make by hand or in a food processor.
Simply put 125g/40z of plain flour, 55g/2oz of cubed butter and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Rub the mixture with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs then stir in enough cold water, using a knife, to bind the dough together. For perfect pastry, wrap in clingfilm and chill for 15 minutes before rolling out.
You may also want to watch:
Once you have lined your flan dish, bake blind for about 20-30 mins. on Gas 5/6.
Remove flan dish from oven when just starting to brown a little.
- 1 Caravans pitched at Portman Road car park
- 2 Former Town star Clapham gets head coaching role
- 3 Passenger falls off motorbike on A134
- 4 Tributes to 'loyal, caring' man, 28, who died after A14 crash
- 5 Ipswich Town lead the chase to sign Luton skipper Sonny Bradley
- 6 'Mass of smoke' billows from roof in house fire
- 7 ‘Unique’ farm in coveted river setting hits market for first time in 60 years
- 8 First look at golf club's multi-million pound coastal homes development
- 9 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 10 Woman who posed as food bank staff steals Easter eggs from Morrisons
While the flan is cooking, beat 2 eggs and half pint milk in a jug with a little seasoning. Put to one side.
Strain a can of tunafish in brine, then flake this into the flan. Add about 3-4 oz strong cheddar cheese (grated), mix into the tunafish. Then slowly pour over the egg/milk mixture, and
return flan dish to the oven for a further half hour or until nicely brown on the top. Remove from oven and leave to cool and settle for 15mins.
Eat either hot or cold. served with a fresh salad.
Have you got a cheap, healthy recipe to share with readers? Email email@example.com