Record after record for Great Run Local Needham Lake as 5km and 2km runs become nation’s most popular
A weekend run at a Suffolk tourist spot has proved a runaway success since its inaugural event just three months ago.
The Great Run Local 2km and 5km runs are held every Sunday at Needham Lake and have grown almost every week, setting a new attendance record of 169 on Sunday (January 24).
The event is run by volunteers and is similar to Parkrun. Great Run Local has events across the country, with Needham Lake now the most popular in the UK.
Launched on November 8 with 69 people turning out, organisers Baz and Bridget Goldstone have been blown away by the support.
Mr Goldstone, 63, said: “It has surprised us. We broke the record last Sunday only for us to break it again this Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
“Our focus is on a family event, getting everyone, especially the youngsters, out running and not behind computer screens.
“We get all sorts here; we don’t mind if you walk, jog or run round. We had a lorry driver here who hadn’t run in six years.”
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 3 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 6 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn
The event relies on a team of regular volunteers and starts every Sunday at 9.30am from the car park on Coddenham Lane, next to the toilet block. A briefing takes place at 9.20am. You must register online beforehand.
Runners can find out more by visiting the Facebook page by searching “Great Run Local Needham Lake”, where Mrs Goldstone is ready to answer questions, and on the website www.greatrunlocal.org/runs