Record passenger numbers on East Suffolk train services
More people than ever before are travelling on the rail lines in East Suffolk, new figures reveal.
A record number of customers used Greater Anglia services between Ipswich and Lowestoft and Ipswich and Felixstowe last year.
The annual passenger total on these lines has hit a new high of 471,000 – an increase of 15% over the last five years.
Greater Anglia released the figures ahead of the second ever Suffolk Day, on June 21.
Neil Grabham, the operator’s area customer service manager, said: “We’ve been making improvements to stations and trains and offering frequent services and great value fares, and this along with the dedication and focus of the East Suffolk Lines Community Rail Partnership, is helping our local rail lines to thrive, connecting people and communities across the county.”
You may also want to watch:
Recent upgrades have included a new waiting shelter and heritage station signage at Beccles and the restoration of Wickham Market station.
Martin Halliday, community rail officer, said: “The East Suffolk Lines Community Rail Partnership are thrilled that passenger journeys continue to increase and proud to partner with Greater Anglia to extol the delights to be found by rail in Suffolk.”
- 1 'I will be like Demolition Man... there will be a lot of pain' - Cook on his Town squad overhaul
- 2 Suffolk actress Helen McCrory dies following cancer battle
- 3 Rise in number of Covid patients in Suffolk and north Essex hospitals
- 4 Frustrated Suffolk farmer returns dumped items to householders
- 5 Judge heading to Ipswich exit as contract clause could end Irishman's Portman Road stay
- 6 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
- 7 'He goes with our best wishes' - Cook confirms Judge will leave Town
- 8 Next steps outlined for decision on A12 traffic light plans
- 9 'They have big dreams... we're in great hands' - Town favourite Yallop on his links to new US owners
- 10 Death of 'loving' Suffolk woman in crash was 'unmitigated tragedy'
“There is so much for people to explore as the lines from Ipswich link to areas of outstanding natural beauty, industrial and maritime heritage, traditional seaside resorts and family attractions.”