Theatre in the Forest forced to cancel Macbeth this summer
- Credit: Archant
This summer Theatre-in-the-Forest creators Red Rose Chain were all set to establish themselves in a new home at Sutton Hoo.
Red Rose Chain were looking forward to staging Shakespeare’s atmospheric thriller Macbeth over the summer. But, uncertainty surrounding restrictions and the multiple challenges to restarting large scale events such as Theatre in the Forest, has meant that the outdoor event has been postponed until 2022.
Joanna Carrick, Red Rose Chain artistic director, said: “Throughout the pandemic, the health and safety of our audiences, artists and community participants has been our upmost priority and therefore we have taken the difficult decision to reschedule this year’s production of Macbeth at Sutton Hoo to 2022.
“We are planning for the future and looking forward to bringing our unique event to our wonderful audience for many years to come, supported by an inspiring new partnership with the National Trust.”
She said that for more than 20 years, Theatre in the Forest has been an inclusive event for everybody to come together to enjoy unforgettable Shakespeare productions. “We want our opening production at our stunning new venue at Sutton Hoo to be accessible and safe for all our audiences to enjoy with confidence.”
Happily, not everything has been cancelled. Instead of staging one big show, Red Rose Chain will be taking Theatre in the Forest into the community, with a series of pop-up events and Shakespeare workshops – including a behind-the-scenes tour which will offer a sneak peek at the creation of the beautiful new venue for Theatre in the Forest at Sutton Hoo.
Ticket holders for Macbeth have been contacted about transferring tickets to 2022. If you have booked tickets but not received an email, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1 'I thought he was going to Ipswich' - rival boss reveals Blues interest in right-back
- 2 Case of new Omicron Covid variant identified in Norfolk
- 3 25-year-old left eating disorder clinic prior to death on A14
- 4 New Ed Sheeran Christmas song with Elton John out this week
- 5 Will Suffolk have a white Christmas this year?
- 6 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 7 The Ipswich Town players who could force their way into Cook's thinking during cup break
- 8 Norwood on target as Town Under 23's sting Hornets
- 9 Suffolk mass vaccination centre wants to jab 10,000 amid Omicron concern
- 10 Aston Villa loanee Louie Barry is the forgotten signing at Ipswich Town... he'll be hoping to get his chance this week
For more information about Theatre in the Forest at Sutton Hoo, head online to www.redrosechain.com/macbeth
Tickets for Theatre in the Forest in 2022 will go on general sale later this summer.