Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 10°C

min temp: 4°C

Search

Teen remains in custody charged in connection with Ipswich stabbing

PUBLISHED: 16:20 16 June 2018 | UPDATED: 10:20 17 June 2018

Two teenagers have appeared in court following the incident at McDonalds Picture: ARCHANT

Two teenagers have appeared in court following the incident at McDonalds Picture: ARCHANT

A teenager will appear in crown court on Monday charged in connection with a stabbing at an outlet of McDonald’s in Ipswich last week.

Forensic teams work at the scene of the alleged stabbing McDonald's in Ravenswood Avenue Picture: ARCHANTForensic teams work at the scene of the alleged stabbing McDonald's in Ravenswood Avenue Picture: ARCHANT

Rishawn Mohammed, of Hurricane Place, Ipswich, made his first court appearance before magistrates in custody on Saturday.

The 18-year-old student faces charges of wounding with intent and threatening a person with a blade or sharply pointed article in a public place.

Suffolk Magistrates’ Court heard the charges related to an incident in the Ravenswood area of Ipswich on Wednesday, June 13.

Police were called at about 7.30pm to reports of a teenager having been stabbed outside the McDonald’s fast food restaurant.

He suffered potentially life-threatening injuries but has since been released from hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.

Prosecutor Michael Crimp told magistrates that the alleged assault “touched the femoral artery” in the teenager’s thigh.

Mohammed, represented by David Thomas, of London-based J Benson Solicitors, gave no indication of plea to the charges the more serious of which, wounding with intent, must be dealt with by a judge at the higher court.

Mohammed, who turned 18 earlier this month, was remanded in custody to appear at Ipswich Crown Court on Monday, June 18.

Meanwhile, a 17-year-old boy, from Ipswich, who can not be named for legal reasons, has been charged with possession of a bladed article, in connection with the same incident, and possession of cannabis.

The teenager appeared at Suffolk Magistrates’ Court on Friday and was bailed to appear before a youth panel of magistrates at the same court on Thursday, June 21.

It is thought the alleged incident began outside McDonald’s and continued inside the restaurant.

A 20-year-old man and a 22-year-old man have both been released under investigation by Suffolk Constabulary, pending further enquiries.

Police said the incident was not directly linked to the killing of 17-year-old Tavis Spencer-Aitkens, who died as a result of a stabbing in Packard Avenue on June 2.

A mobile police unit was set up in the Hening Avenue area of Ravenswood on the morning of Thursday, June 14, while additional high visibility patrols have taken place across Ipswich.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Motorists are being warned of severe delays following a crash and car fire on the A12.

Don’t leave your New Year’s eve plans until last minute - see what events are happening around Suffolk with our guide.

A pub landlord who smashed a pint glass over a customer was put behind bars this week. Take a look at the others here.

Hundreds of US air force staff from RAF Mildenhall and their families are moving to Gloucestershire as the Suffolk base prepares for closure.

A learner motorcyclist had their bike seized after police found they had allegedly been riding with no rear brake pads.

Members of the public crowded round to help after a man’s foot was struck by a car in Ipswich town centre.

A new design for Shotley Pier has been approved by the majority of stakeholders following a bout of tension over the future of the tourist attraction.

Most read

Show Job Lists

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to the following newsletters:

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

MyDate24 MyPhotos24