Rendham: The White Horse gets green award for bottle bank and vow to use only local produce
A SUFFOLK pub has become one of only 21 business in the county to be given the highest Carbon Charter award for reducing emissions.
The White Horse in Rendham, near Framlingham, has been awarded the Gold Suffolk Carbon Charter, recognising the pub’s green credentials.
Since 2009, Paul and Lisa Boswell have tried to reduce their energy consumption by implemented a number of actions which have resulted in a 15% reduction of their carbon footprint.
Some of the steps the Boswells have taken include using LED and low energy light bulbs, adding water savers to all toilet cisterns, and insulating external doors with draught excluders and lined curtains.
All suppliers are from within a 30-mile radius and recycling has been implemented throughout the pub, including a bottle bank in the car park for the local community to use.
The Carbon Charter is awarded to companies which are monitoring and reducing their carbon emissions, and recognises steps being taken towards Suffolk County Council’s goal of creating the Greenest County.
The Gold Charter is only awarded to companies that, in addition to having achieved significant reductions in their carbon emissions, are also using their position to influence their communities through their supply chain, customers or staff. It recognises firms for best practice in carbon management.
- 1 Travellers pitch up at popular park in east Suffolk town
- 2 Crews battle huge 15-acre fire in mid Suffolk village
- 3 Woman in her 80s dies after being pulled from the sea
- 4 10-acre field fire breaks out in south Suffolk village
- 5 Residents help firefighters tackle huge blaze near homes
- 6 Tributes paid to 'very nice couple' found dead at home
- 7 'Save water' Suffolk households urged as hosepipe bans imposed elsewhere
- 8 'Appalling thugs' - U's owner apologises after crowd trouble at Portman Road
- 9 Ex-Town striker joins League One rival
- 10 Suffolk villagers say 70 homes development creating 'dust storm'
The Suffolk Carbon Charter panel praised the White Horse’s submission as one of the most comprehensive yet received, in particular the excellent long-term data monitoring and a good rate of emission reduction.
The pub was among 85 Suffolk businesses to complete the Low Carbon Champions programme which provided mentoring and support to reduce carbon emissions and save money.