Rendlesham: Crews tackle forest blaze
FIREFIGHTERS were scrambled to Rendlesham Forest after reports of a fire in the open.
Fire crews were called by the Forestry Department, and with the Forestry Severity Index showing the area was high risk, appliances were mobilised immediately.
On arrival firefighters discovered an acre of undergrowth and trees was well alight in the Tangham area.
Appliances from Orford and Woodbridge and the water bowzer from Sudbury were sent to the scene just before 11.20am.
Crews began firefighting with beaters while attempts were made to provide water at the scene.
A third pump from Ipswich East was mobilised to assist at 12.15pm, and once a water supply was established the fire was extinguished by 1.10pm.
The area was damped down until 2.10pm to ensure the fire and hotspots was out.
- 1 Uproar as plans put in to turn Suffolk pub into vets
- 2 New farm shop and cafe opens in Suffolk countryside
- 3 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 4 Further case of Omicron Covid variant detected in East Anglia
- 5 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 6 Friends speak of 'spiking' in market town and advise others: 'be careful'
- 7 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 8 Stu says: Six observations following Papa John's Trophy exit to Arsenal U21s
- 9 Former Town defender McGreal returns to club in coaching role
- 10 Major west Suffolk road reopens after two vehicle crash