Showcase exhibition is becoming ‘the premier venue’ for artists to display their work
- Credit: SUBMITTED
An internationally-renowned artist will open an annual showcase exhibition in Bury St Edmunds.
Suffolk-born Ania Hobson, 2018 winner of the Young Artist Award in the BP Portrait Awards at the National Portrait Gallery, will be at the Apex Gallery for the Suffolk Open Studios Annual Showcase, which runs from Tuesday, February 26, to Sunday, March 31.
With more than 100 members contributing work across a wide spectrum of 2D and 3D media, the exhibition marks a high point in the artistic calendar and is the premier exhibition for visual artists across the county.
Ania said: “I’m very pleased to be opening this year’s Showcase.
“It’s never easy for artists, particularly younger ones, to establish themselves and the Showcase provides them with a major opportunity to show their work to a wider audience and gain the exposure they deserve.”
You may also want to watch:
Ania’s paintings hang around the world and she has work on permanent display at the Gallery at Snape Maltings and Thompson’s Gallery, Aldeburgh.
She has exhibited self-portraits at the Royal Society of Portrait Painters’ Annual Exhibition, the Society of Women Artists at the Mall Galleries in London and the Royal Society of British Artists.
- 1 Woman in 20s dies in single car crash on A12 in Suffolk
- 2 Suffolk enjoys warehousing boom as more businesses flock to region
- 3 Boy, 5, dies after suffering serious head injury at department store
- 4 A12 fully reopened after serious crash
- 5 Container ship that blocked Suez Canal due to arrive in Felixstowe
- 6 Edmundson ruled out of opener as Cook discusses 'four, five or six' more transfers
- 7 Suffolk pub reopens with exclusive Champagne carvery
- 8 Long-serving parish clerk resigns from council hit by flaring tensions
- 9 Positives, negatives and plenty still to do - what we've learned from Town's pre-season
- 10 The Town players who have improved their stock in pre-season
Ania specialises in portrait paintings, working primarily in oils. Where possible, she works from life to capture the movement and characteristics of her subjects: her interpretation is life-like and traditional, yet with a contemporary feel.
Cally James, Suffolk Open Studios chairman, added: “We are delighted to have an artist of Ania Hobson’s international reputation agree to open the Showcase this year.
“It is a further indication of the growing recognition the exhibition is achieving in the artistic community as the premier venue in which to display your work on a larger stage and have your undoubted talent recognised.”
The Suffolk Open Studios Annual Showcase takes place at the Apex Gallery in Charter Square, Bury St Edmunds, IP33 3FD.
The Apex is open Monday to Saturday from 10am to 5pm and Sunday 10am to 4pm. For more information see here.
As in previous years, Suffolk Open Studios is pleased to support the work of participatory arts charity Suffolk Artlink. A prize draw in support of the charity will take place during the private view on February 27.
Suffolk Open Studios members who have not yet submitted work for this year’s Showcase are welcome to apply. Please see here for details.