Residents escape flat fire

A MAN has been taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after fire ripped through a Clacton flat early this morning.Fire crews were called to the blaze in the High Street at just after 2am.

By Sharon Asplin

A MAN has been taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after fire ripped through a Clacton flat early this morning.

Fire crews were called to the blaze in the High Street at just after 2am. Six residents were evacuated from the converted house and a woman had to be walked to safety through the smoke by firefighters.

Six firefighters, all wearing breathing apparatus, then searched the flats to make sure everyone had escaped.

The fire started in a ground floor living area and early indications are that it was caused by smoking materials. The whole of the room where the fire started was destroyed and the rest of the building affected by smoke.

Full story - see tomorrow's East Anglian Daily Times

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter