Residents forced to evacuate homes after gas leak in Bury St Edmunds
- Credit: Archant
A gas leak in Bury St Edmunds on Sunday forced residents from nine houses to stay in hotels for a number of days.
The leak, which took place in Severn Road on Sunday evening, left gas escaping into the street and under the concrete floors of some houses.
While the gas main was repaired on Sunday evening, some houses had to be evacuated while gas was sucked out of the house.
A spokesperson from the National Grid said: “In a painstaking and methodical operation, National Grid engineers used special equipment to suck out the gas.We would like to apologise for the disruption caused to them.”
All residents have now been allowed to return to their homes after the gas was successfully removed.