Residents praised in bogus caller hunt
POLICE investigating a string of bogus caller incidents in west Suffolk say further incidents have been reported.
POLICE investigating a string of bogus caller incidents in west Suffolk say further incidents have since been reported.
Some of those targeted by con artists in the recent spate of incidents in Sudbury, Hitcham, Bury St Edmunds and Newmarket were today praised for heeding police safety advice and sending bogus callers packing.
Yesterday the EADT reported how five incidents were reported in the west of the county between 9.55am and 1.30pm on Tuesday. It has now emerged there were more cases that day and detectives are continuing to investigate whether any of the cases are linked.
Police have revealed how nothing had been stolen in any of the cases.
You may also want to watch:
Chief Inspector Martin Barnes-Smith said: “Whilst I am concerned that so many vulnerable people were targeted by bogus callers in West Suffolk on Tuesday, it is pleasing to see that the public are becoming more aware of this type of offence and are putting our advice into practice.
“Two people refused entry altogether and another two very quickly told the callers to leave as they did not feel they were genuine. Where entry was gained fortunately nothing was stolen.”
- 1 Six senior players - including Downes - will start pre-season with Under-23s
- 2 'We're working tirelessly... I'm hopeful of new signings fairly shortly' - Town CEO Ashton on transfers
- 3 Ipswich Town's 2021/22 League One fixtures revealed as Blues start at home
- 4 Man arrested after more than 80 vehicles checked on day of action
- 5 Town show Jacobs interest but injury holds up potential deal
- 6 Sam Smith spotted in Suffolk - and could be recording a new album
- 7 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 8 New beginnings, old faces and a return home - what to look for on 'fixtures day'
- 9 A12 reopens after three-vehicle crash
- 10 Police unlock county lines drug dealer's phone with first guess at password
The first incident happened in Minden Road in Sudbury at around 9.30am. There were two men - one white, in his late 20s, of medium build, between 5ft 10in inches and 6ft tall with short brown hair, a brown woolen v-neck jumper and grey trousers. The other was white, in his late 20s, 5ft 4 or 5in tall, of slim to medium build with dark hair and a pale complexion and wore a navy jumper.
Then, at 9.45am, two men pushed their way into an elderly woman’s home on Cavendish Way, Sudbury. One was white, 26 years old, of stocky build, about 5ft 3in tall with short dark hair and a waist length casual jacket and dark trousers. The second was white, in his early 20s, of medium build, 5ft 3in tall with short dark wavy hair and a dark jacket.
Two men were reported in First Avenue in Sudbury at 10am saying they needed to turn the water off because of an explosion next door. One was 5ft 11in tall, in his late teens, of slim build with short black spiky hair and was wearing a grey sweater. He spoke with a squeaky voice. The other 5ft 6in tall, in his late teens, of slim build with dark receding hair and a grey jumper.
On the Causeway Estate in Hitcham at 10.35am two men approached an elderly woman’s home asking to check the water pressure but were not allowed in.
Two men, both white and in their 20s were also sent packing from a house in Cullum Road in Bury St Edmunds at around 11.30am.
Then at 11.45am a man claiming to be from the council or housing association called at a house in St Martins Street, Bury.
He left when he found the resident was not alone. A red car was also seen in the area.
Reports of bogus callers have also come in from New Cheveley Road in Newmarket at around 1.10pm. That incident involved a man in his 20s, between 5ft 8in and 5ft 10in tall, of medium build with stubble and was wearing a blue jumper.