Revealed: The top 10 noisiest streets in Ipswich with most complaints since start of 2017
Barking dogs, late night parties and loud music are just some of the dozens of noise complaints Ipswich council bosses have received since the start of 2017.
A Star investigation has revealed the ten streets in Ipswich with the most complaints – with Foxhall Road, Birkfield Drive and Burrell Road at the top of the list.
Playing music is the most common grievance, making up 28 of the 75 received across 16 streets since January 1.
After the top three, which had 19 complaints in total, Kemball Street is ranked fourth – Bramford Road fifth and Northgate Street sixth.
The remaining four, Cemetery Road, Coltsfoot Road, Dilwyn Street and Felixstowe Road all had four appeals lodged.
You may also want to watch:
Noise from pubs and clubs, house parties and construction traffic were among residents’ criticisms.
Liz Harsant, councillor for the Holywells ward where most of the incidents reported in Foxhall Road occurred, said: “This is completely unacceptable to play loud music particularly after 11 at night.
- 1 Tankers on their way to Suffolk as the government unveils action plan
- 2 Lorry overturns after crashing into office building - warning over delays
- 3 Seven spots to visit on the Suffolk Coast this autumn
- 4 Aldi to open 100 new supermarkets with eyes on four towns in Suffolk
- 5 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 6 The 72 postcode areas where Covid infection rates are rising
- 7 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 8 Louis Theroux documentary on White House Farm murder premieres tonight
- 9 Church brings a new Hope to former Ipswich Odeon cinema
- 10 Film crews shooting new Netflix film in Suffolk village
“I suffered it myself for over a year which I found disturbing so I really do sympathise with the people who have made complaints.
“With construction noise as well it is something that companies should incorporate into their management plans to minimise noise.
“I would say to the people in the Holywells part of Foxhall Road to come to me as their local councillor and I will stand up for their needs.”
Ian Blofield is Ipswich Borough Council’s head of housing and community services.
He said: “Noise can come from a number of sources and obviously the problem varies from street to street, according to the nature of the highway, numbers of residents, businesses and other factors.
“Noise nuisance from neighbours, such as loud music or pets, can be a serious blight on people’s quality of life and we take this very seriously, resorting to the courts if necessary.
“We also work with partners such as the police to minimise any nuisance caused by pubs and clubs.”
A number of the streets which rank highly in the latest figures, released following a Freedom of Information request, have appeared in the top ten before.
Back in 2015 we revealed Bramford Road was the noisiest street in the town after having 80 complaints within five years.
People experiencing higher than usual noise levels should contact their council’s environmental health team, bosses have said.
Call them by dialling 01473 432000 if you have a problem.