Review: Ed Byrne, Ipswich Corn Exchange, February 7 2018
- Credit: Archant
From musings on the merits of hillwalking to detailed build-ups of why his children could have been electrocuted, comedian Ed Byrne’s particular comic muse is well outside the remit of most funny men and women on the circuit.
But his unique ability to see the madness in topics, which, most would rarely even pause for thought over, is one of the 45-year-old’s biggest comedic gifts.
His Corn Exchange appearance on the Spoiler Alert tour – aptly centred around the theme of his children being spoilt – certainly provided plenty of laughs for the amassed faithful who were only too happy to lap up his fast-paced gags.
Whether it was the minutiae of why his Derby show needs a good plug, or why he refuses to bounce his children on the trampoline, Ed’s world weary reflections certainly seemed to have the ring of truth for parents in the audience, while the younger contingent were happy to hear him swearing along, complete with boyish grin, over his thoughts.
The best moment came from his audience interaction, quizzing participants on the names they have given their cars (a Fiesta called Eve and what the obvious name for a Marxist red Nissan Micra from this Ipswich audience) and indeed, his show could have been bolstered further from more riffing with the willing audience.
You may also want to watch:
Overall though, Ed has become a solid fixture on the UK touring comedian scene for good reason – and the warm feeling within the Corn Exchange showed it was job well done once again.
- 1 Derelict Suffolk railway crossing cottage up for auction
- 2 East Suffolk village garage to be rebuilt as part of homes plan
- 3 Map reveals raw sewage overflow into Suffolk rivers
- 4 West Suffolk restaurant named among best in the country
- 5 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 6 'I'm just gobsmacked': east Suffolk pub receives £96,000 grant in Budget
- 7 A14 reopens after HGV crashes into central reservation
- 8 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 9 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 10 Donacien's 'feeling the love' after returning from the Ipswich Town shadows