Review: Sam Smith, Forest Live, Thetford Forest, July 3
- Credit: Archant
There were fears the second night of this summer’s Forest Live concerts would have to be cancelled when Sam Smith announced he was undergoing throat surgery.
But as Smith opened there was no doubting the power and range of his skill.
There is something mesmerising about Smith. His unassuming entrance lead quickly into a soulful rendition of Life Support - proving he is still capable of reaching those top notes.
Smith has a vocal talent that many artists would be jealous of yet still there is an element of bashfulness about him.
He told the audience he used to visit the forest as a child and admitted it was humbling to be back here taking the stage.
You may also want to watch:
The heart-felt lyrics of Leave Your Lover resonated through the crowd and then, lifting the mood, he burst into I’m not The Only One, always guaranteed to get a reaction.
Eloquent is a word often used to describe Smith, and despite much searching, I cannot find a better adjective.
- 1 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 2 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 3 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
- 4 Poorly rated Chick King takeaway goes into liquidation
- 5 Joy as council reverses ban on motorhomes in car parks
- 6 'Masterpiece' modernist home with panoramic sea views for sale for £850,000
- 7 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 8 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Plans to convert pub into block of holiday lets withdrawn
A man whose talent speaks for itself, there were few special effects needed here tonight.
Forest Live continues tomorrow with Paloma Faith taking the stage, and on Sunday evening Tom Odell will round off four nights of open-air concerts.