Reydon: Parents still looking for answers after son’s death

THE parents of a teenager whose body was discovered in a ditch almost two years ago are convinced their son was not alone in his final moments.

Daniel Hannant, 19, went missing after a night with friends at the British Legion Club in Blackmill Road, Southwold, on Saturday, February 28, 2009.

He left the venue around 11.30pm and his body was found three days later in a ditch on marshes near the Blyth Road allotments.

As the second anniversary of his death approaches his parents are making a fresh appeal for anyone who might be able to help piece together their son’s final movements to come forward.

Michael and Patricia Hannant, of Windsor Road, Reydon, said they still have a number of unanswered questions and are finding it difficult to move on without knowing exactly what happened.

You may also want to watch:

Mr Hannant, 52, said: “We are just hoping to refresh people’s memories.

“Did someone see Daniel in the club? Did they see anything in the club? When Daniel left a witness said there was a boy and girl behind him. We don’t think they were with Daniel because of the distance they were apart but we’d like to find that boy and girl.

Most Read

“From what we have been told we are convinced that Daniel wasn’t alone later that night. Someone out there must know something more.

“Even if someone has information which doesn’t seem important, it might be the detail we need to help us find out what happened. At the moment we’re stuck in limbo.”

An inquest held last year heard that Daniel had an “extremely high level” of alcohol in his blood when his body was found.

Suffolk police insp Stuart Grimsey said that there had been “conflicting reports” about how drunk he had been on that night, and several reported sightings of him around Southwold, which made it difficult to know how he had ended up at the marshes off Blyth Road.

Suffolk deputy coroner Yvonne Blake recorded a narrative verdict and said they were not able to ascertain exactly what happened after Daniel left the club.

Mrs Hannant, 51, said: “It’s like fitting together the pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.

“Where his body was found was not on his way home. He didn’t like the dark so we don’t know what he was doing there or how he got there.

“He had work the next morning and said he wouldn’t be late home. If he was going to be late he would have phoned to let us know. We just can’t understand it.

“We find it very difficult not knowing exactly what happened. It’s hard to move on. We are looking for some closure.”

Daniel, who lived with his parents and two brothers, Joseph, 19, and Mark, 16, was a former Sir John Leman High School pupil and had been working as a shop assistant at the Somerfield supermarket in Southwold.

A spokesman for Suffolk police said they would welcome any new information.

“Although the inquest has been held there are still questions as to what happened that night,” she said. “If people do have information then we would like to hear from them.”

Anyone who thinks they can help should call Beccles police station on 01473 613500.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus