Council raises concerns over noise at proposed new gym in Melton
Concerns have been raised about a proposed gym which could be opened in Melton.
The new gym would sit in two units on the Riduna Park development close to the railway station.
The application for a change of use from business to gymnasium has been made by Riduna Holdings, the developers at the park.
Few details are known about the proposed gym at this stage other than that the company had been considering using units 19 and 20 which are part of the third phase of building work on the site.
There is no planned increase in the number of parking spaces currently in place at the units.
You may also want to watch:
However, the environmental health officer has raised concerns about the potential noise of a new gym for local residents.
In their consultation response the environmental health office said: “The site is close to nearby residential properties and I have concerns in relation to noise generated from on site activity in the early hours and later in the evening.
- 1 Road closed as one person trapped in car on its roof
- 2 11 Suffolk hotels named among best in the country
- 3 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 4 Major A14 roundabout may not reopen until next week as water main repaired
- 5 Widow: 'Heartless' council won't allow extra 4 inches for my husband's headstone
- 6 A140 closed in both directions after two vehicle crash
- 7 Suffolk shop wins 'Boutique Clothing Store of the Year'
- 8 'I've got goosebumps... I've been blown away' - Town owner Johnson excited for first Portman Road game
- 9 Caravan owners furious after park suddenly blocks sales of properties
- 10 Warning of seasonal canine disorder after dachshund Trudie taken ill
“The applicant has not provided sufficient information in this regard.”
The officer makes a recommendation that before the application is approved that a noise report would need to be submitted with more details about the proposed opening times, the equipment that will be used on the site and predicted noise levels.
Katie Emerson from Riduna Holdings confirmed that the company were in talks with the council about the options for putting a gym in on the site.
She also said that Riduna Holdings would be bringing in an external company to run any future gym on the Riduna Park site.
The application comes only weeks after the Deben Leisure Centre was re-opened just a few miles down the road in Woodbridge.
The centre had been closed since September 2017 for a £3 million revamp by Suffolk Coastal District Council.
Riduna Park is already home to a number of other businesses.
Suffolk Coastal District Council inhabit a number of units including the large Riduna House building at the front of plot.
Melton Parish Council announced at the start of this month that it had agreed to spend £425,000 on a two-storey unit in the park which will house it for the foreseeable future.