‘Callous, cowardly’ rapist locked up for violent sex attack
- Credit: Archant
A rapist who stalked and violently attacked a woman in Braintree was sentenced to eight years behind bars at Chelmsford Crown Court.
Wojciech Pietrzyk, 42, of Wickham Cresent, Braintree, attacked a woman as she headed home after a night out on June 10.
CCTV shows Pietrzyk repeatedly following the woman around a nightclub from a distance as she enjoyed herself with friends.
When she left to walk home around 3.45am, he waited until she reached the alleyway in Riverside Place in St John’s Avenue before violently attacking her, pushing her to the ground, punching and slapping her before raping and sexually assaulting her.
In her victim impact statement she said: “I cannot get to sleep as every noise makes me paranoid. I never walk home alone anymore which has taken away some of my independence.
“I believe I will forever feel disgusted and vulnerable.”
The victim managed to escape and raise the alarm and police were called.
- 1 'Lads have different levels of where they are' - Cook on Norwood and Barry
- 2 Paul Cook on social media 'drama queens' and a trip to Gateshead
- 3 'It's a genuine personnel issue' - Cook on goal errors
- 4 'The answer to your question is in my reply' - Cook on whether he'll go with Bonne or Pigott
- 5 Child rapist jailed for offences dating back to 2005
- 6 Time Team using latest technology to investigate Sutton Hoo
- 7 Parish council concerned about plans for new A14 service station
- 8 Hundreds sign petition to fix closed Suffolk road as MP visits site
- 9 Burglar jailed for break-in at Stowmarket dental practice
- 10 'That is the calibre'- Oxford boss on potential transfer move for Norwood
Detectives launched an investigation, with officers working around the clock, and Pietrzyk was arrested four days later.
DNA evidence recovered from the victim provided a match for the suspect.
DCI Stephen Jennings of the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate said: “Pietrzyk is a callous, cowardly sexual predator who stalked his victim throughout the night before seizing an opportunity to attack her as she walked home alone.
“Thankfully today she can take some small shred of comfort from the fact that Pietrzyk is behind bars for a significant number of years.
“But the victim in this case - as with all those who are subjected to sexual offences – will live with what happened to her for the rest of her life.
“She is extremely brave both in reporting the offence to Essex Police and in supporting our investigation to ensure a dangerous and violent sexual predator is put behind bars where he belongs.”
Pietrzyk was charged with two counts of rape and a further charge of sexual assault by penetration. He admitted the charges when he appeared at Chelmsford Crown Court in July.
On Wednesday October 3, Pietrzyk was sentenced to an eight year custodial term with a five-year extended licence.
If you have been a victim of sexual violence contact Essex Police on 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
For details of support available in Essex contact the Essex Partnership of Rape Crisis Centres on 0300 003 7777 or visit synergyessex.org.uk