Road chaos as A12 is closed
MOTORISTS faced chaos on the A12 in Essex tonight after a serious accident left the road closed for the entire evening.It followed a day of misery for drivers, with emergency services in Essex called to 22 road accidents in little over two hours.
By Danielle Nuttall
MOTORISTS faced chaos on the A12 in Essex tonight after a serious accident left the road closed for the entire evening.
It followed a day of misery for drivers, with emergency services in Essex called to 22 road accidents in little over two hours.
The most serious happened on the London-bound carriageway of the A12, south of Chelmsford, at 5.20pm and involved a lorry and a car.
You may also want to watch:
The 18-year-old male driver of the car, believed to be from London, was taken by ambulance to Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford suffering from a serious head injury.
His nine-year-old female passenger, from Enfield, was taken by paramedics to the same hospital, but her injuries are not believed to be life-threatening. The lorry driver was uninjured in the crash.
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 3 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 4 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 5 'The people of West Suffolk deserve better': Vote of no confidence for Hancock
- 6 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 7 Colchester United 3 Ipswich Town 3: Burns' late strike levels it for Town
- 8 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 9 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 10 Andy's Angles: Six observations from Ipswich Town's Colchester draw
The accident forced police to close the A12 while the vehicles were cleared, causing major tailbacks in both directions. It was expected to be closed for much of the night.