Road in Newmarket opens eight hours after gas leak
- Credit: Archant
A busy road through Newmarket which was closed because of a major gas leak opened later in the evening.
The drama unfolded on Tuesday when the emergency services were called to the scene in Exning Road, near the Newmarket Motor Company, on Tuesday, just after 10am, with people being urged to avoid the area and those living near the site told to shut their windows and doors.
A 200-metre exclusion zone was set up and the road was shut between St Phillips Road and Freshfields until 6pm.
A spokesman from Cadent Gas Network, who were called to deal with the leak, said: “The few properties who were evacuated as a safety precaution were allowed back into their properties.
“Our engineers remained on site to complete the repair to the gas pipe.
You may also want to watch:
“No gas supplies have been impacted by this incident.
“We would like to thank the emergency services and the local community for their patience whilst we dealt with this incident.”
- 1 Matchday Recap: All-square as Town and U's share six goals
- 2 Town complete ninth signing as Edmundson joins from Scottish giants
- 3 Teenage girl allegedly raped on village recreation ground, court hears
- 4 Man dies after lorry crashes into trees
- 5 Colchester town centre streets closed following concern over child
- 6 'Amazing' - Joy as port welcomes maiden call of luxury cruise ship
- 7 Family creates 50 new jobs by reviving two Suffolk pubs
- 8 Suffolk postcode sees house prices rise by £100,000 in a year
- 9 Town complete Chaplin deal as Barnsley forward becomes signing No.10
- 10 Friends reunited, points to prove and more goals, please - Town face U's